You are on your way! You’ve got the ISSLC, you understand VISION, you understand the MISSION and you implemented SMART GOALS. How will you get a staff, school, parents,students, and community to work towards this? You need COLLECTIVE TRUST.
In conclusion, the authors state nine important principals and practical suggestions.
1. Leadership generates collective trust.
*Make authentic behavior and openness habits of action.
*Stamp our artificiality and game playing.
2. Organization structure influences collective trust.
*Build enabling school structures.
*Avoid structural features that restrain and hinder.
3. School innovation and reform require collective trust.
*Make trust the linchpin of school reform.
*Use social support to create and nurture trust.
4. Trust, efficacy, and academic emphasis create a synergistic sense of academic optimism.
*Forge a culture of academic optimism.
*Treat academic optimism as an investment in persistence, resilience, and achievement.
5. Positive and productive social interaction requires collective trust.
*Infuse trust as a persistent theme in the life of schools.
*Guard against any action that erodes trust.
6. Collective trust is salient for student achievement.
*Build collective trust as a platform for efficacy, optimism, parental outreach, professional community, and high expectations.
*Earn the trust of parents and students.
7. Collective trust requires risk taking and vulnerablity.
*Demonstrate benevolence, reliability, honesty, openness, and competence.
*Eschew secrecy and deal making.
8. Collective trust enhances cooperation.
*Establish the community as a partner in school affairs.
*Confirm collaborative and professional behaviors as the norm.
9. Collective trust shapes social capital and social action.
*Create and support authentic reciprocal interactions: They boost trust.
*Use social capital to promote school conditions that enhance student achievement.
“As principal, you are the BUFFER for your teachers.”-Professor Sandoval
“Trust is the lubricant to successful change.”-Professor Sandoval